So, although we are thrilled to be having another boy, the news also fills me with dread. I can think of a dozen or more girl names that I love, but boy names send me into a fog of indecision. I don't like many. I think I know my style: classic (meaning that you've heard it before), slightly old fashioned, not too formal, easy to pronounce, easy to spell, not too country. Try customizing a Google search for names with those parameters!
In a small way, I wish I could come up with some kind of naming theme that would narrow the field for me just a little (especially in case we ever have another boy - it might help to ease the naming pain). For example, boy names that start with A. There aren't many normal ones. Or Biblical names. Hmm, they all sound so formal. Or old man names. I like the idea but they seem so.....old man-ish.
Jana's been throwing a few ideas my way and most have potential, but nothing has hit me with an L-O-V-E. So I thought maybe some of you could help jog my brain. Can you think of any names that seem to fit my style? Can you think of a good theme that I could use narrow the field?
Or maybe I should just name him and any other boys Caleb. At least I have a good name association with that one.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
I love the name Ammon! I don't know if Ammon and Aaron would be too close though. I have heard Ammon alot lately and I love it! You could always go with Jim! :)
What about Austin or Joshua? Does the person who guesses the "winning name" get a prize?
My next boy I want to name James or Adam. Sometimes Nate. If you use one of them, I'll just pick another. But those are my favs.
Henry. Wait a minute, Henry Hinton? Okay that won't work. Guess I might have to just use that one myself one day. Henry Bailey sounds way better than Henry Hinton.
Okay Meghan, a prize for the winning suggestion.
Marni and Jen, I actually love the name James but somehow a Judy and a James seems a little crazy to me (because those are my parent's names for those who don't know). I'm actually fond of my father-in-law's name too (Clark) but Jodie already beat me to it.
Jamie, Henry is okay, I really like Hank (a nickname for Henry) but as you've said, Hank Hinton isn't working for me.
Keem 'em coming.
How funny that Jamie said Henry, because that was exactly what I was thinking! I've always loved the name Jackson and Joshua. Or George (Its one of my very favorites, for many reason ;) What about Andrew or Reed. I'm excited to hear the final verdict!!!
I have always loved the name Austin. Bryce is another. I remember with Daniel we didn't have a name decided on until after he was born. He ended up being named after my father in law and my grandpa and I am so glad.
I second George. I love it. George Hinton sounds so regal.
We will have the same problem if we are having a boy... Why are boy names so much harder? I'm no help here, sorry!
Ok, I'm in with my suggestions. I LOVE Wyatt. I think Timothy Hinton has a nice ring to it and am always a fan of taking a last name and making it a first name. Although Cozza Hinton might not work. Neither did Bourne Fazekas. We had a few other names before Brock was Brock. Devon, Nicholas, and Jackson. And since we are officially not having anymore kids (sigh), you may use if needed. Good luck.
hey--don't forget about all the amazing suggestions on this site:
http://wesclark.com/ubn/
Also, what about Edward but you call him Ted? I know it's not the most traditional nickname...but so what?!
Miles, Tate, and Calvin are the old-man names my SIL used. Jake is good.
I'm with Em and you... I have a big blank up there in me noggin when thinking of what to name this poor kiddo... I did love Clark, like you said.
K... then normal names in my family
Bryan, Scott, (Derek Jared Craig - less norm) and Chris's family gets the prize... William David Chris and Micheal... all go by the simplified version... Bill Dave Chris and Mike...
Still love Clark though... and oddly enough, george hinton does sound cute :)
I like Thomas and Jonathan too
and you still haven't called me yet don't think that I've forgotten
Well as you know.....I have three boys and each time it was hard to find a name that we agreed on....(I loved Jack or Jackson, Julian, and he doesn't like any J names....and yum, whose pushing out an
8+lb baby anyway). So we kept with a theme of one bibical name and one family name....
So good luck......and sorry that I have no names for you...keep trying you'll find one that you L-O-V-E..
OK, so I'm sad now :(
I went to Jana's website and saw several of the names I like most on the "most potular names in 2004 and 2005" list and one of my criterias is that it isn't very common. Sad day.
How about Mark? Or Jason? I don't love them to death, but they fit the criteria. Eli? Travis? Samuel? Matthew? Best of luck choosing - I'll bet that's a lot of pressure - the kid is stuck with it for at least 18 years. Oh, and even before I read what you said about Jodie's Clark, I thought of that name. I don't think it's too bad - we've got cousins with the same name and it's not weird or anything. If you count middle names, I have no idea how many Lavars we have after grandpa - I think double naming isn't a problem. Better to have two cousins with the name Clark than two sons with the name Caleb. :)
When you came up with your specications, the name Andrew is what popped into my head. And I see someone above also said that, so that's two votes so far!
I like Andrew Caleb Hinton.
(what is Aaron's middle name?)
If it's already Caleb then Andrew Clark Hinton sounds good too
Good luck! Boy names are hard. That's why we went with Jr. :)
I like lots of the suggestions that have been given! Ammon would be just awesome! I was thinking that Clark would have been great, except for Jodie having a Clark of her own. I don't think James would be weird at all! I think it'd be sweet! If my dad's name weren't so weird and hard to put with anything non-Japanese, I'd totally use it! :) Some of the names we've bounced around are Malcom, Elliot, Holden, Thomas... I'm excited to see what you pick for his name! You'll pick the perfect one! :)
Story: So I had a dream the other day before Bryson and Cindy named their baby Dylan that they would actually name him Brian. Ever since that dream, I have thought that it was a good name, AND it did not end up getting taken! So there ya go. Good luck with the search!
I know this is a little late, and I'm sorry that I don't stop by your blog more often, but if you are still looking for names go to the social security names and change the popularity year to an older time it comes up with some cool ones.
Post a Comment