Sunday, June 21, 2009

Out and about

We've mostly been hunkered down at home since Ted was born but I get a little stir-crazy if I go days without leaving the house.

It's nice to feel like I'm a part of a world of people that are older than age 3.

So for that reason, this past week we went to the elementary school for lunch. Our friends from the neighborhood go too so it is always a fun time to see friends (for the kids AND me). Ted was either wrapped up next to me in a baby carrier or swaddled tightly in a blanket. Everyone (familiar and stranger alike) wanted to see him. One cafeteria worker asked me if she could kiss him (what?? weird.) Most people commented on how tiny he is. Now you and I both know that he is not tiny for a newborn but I guess people just aren't used to seeing a newborn.

The funniest conversation I had went something like this:

stranger: How old is your baby?
me: 2 weeks.
stranger: He's tiny! My sister's baby was bigger than that when he was born!
me: Oh, yeah? How big was he?
stranger: 8½ pounds!
me: Wow, that IS a big baby!

I didn't want to sound rude (I don't always say things tactfully) and tell her that Ted was a whole pound bigger than that but luckily my friend Emily was there to stick up for us. Sometimes know-it-all people really crack me up.

Oh, and have I shown you any of these pictures yet? I really love them, thanks Ma.



4 comments:

Emily said...

Okay can I just say he is the cutest thing?! I wanted to hold him so bad the other day but I haven't been feeling good so I had to restrain myself.
I kind of felt bad after I said that to that lady but I'm glad I was there to stick up for you. You're too nice.

Unknown said...

I heard the story! FUNNY!

Can we come over and play?

I am dying to hold that baby of yours!

liz said...

WOW!! First trip out of the house? Fun times...all the packing and loading then unloading then the "stick with me" to the kids and all that fun stuff. I am so proud of you and can't wait to see you. I can't go to Tempe Town Lake splash park without thinking of you guys. Let me know when I can come see the kids and meet your newest one! I'm trying to not be "overbearing". =)

Strider & Jana said...

He is SO precious... I LOVE IT! Congrats and I sure hope things are going well for you guys.