Friday, May 14, 2010

IOU

It's been an exciting week.  I owe a lot of people a lot of favors.  Like my friend to whom I said, "I don't know why Caleb wants me to drive him to the doctor - no one takes me to the doctor when I'm sick.  But will you watch my kids for an hour until I get back?"  And then an hour later I called her and asked her if she would please adopt my kids for an unspecified amount of time while I took Caleb to the ER.  Can you believe it?  She said yes!  And for the next 24 hours she was Mom to 6 kids while we received an appendicitis diagnosis and were wheeled into surgery.  (Oh so THAT's why you needed me to take you to the doctor.  Sorry Dear.)  I owe her big time.  We had a rough night and it was comforting to know the kids were in good hands.


I leaned hard on my sister-in-law and she took two really long shifts watching my kids, which included cleaning my house both times and bringing the kids to the hospital to see Dad.  My mom took a turn with the kiddos and swept and vacuumed the floors for me before she left.  Two ladies from church babysat the kids one of the days.  Neighbors and friends brought me meals and drove the preschool carpool for me this week.  I think my kids had a great time and barely missed us at all.  I really can't imagine what I would have done without so many people willing to help us.  We live in a great neighborhood and have some really great friends.  I can't thank you all enough.

We were in the hospital for roughly 4 days and 3 nights.  We came home with a few wounds, one less appendix (good riddance, it was dead anyways and starting to become gangrenous) and a heck-a-lot of pills.  Pills and bills (can you name that movie?).

I'm glad we're home but now I'm playing nurse and mom.  But it feels a lot better than playing hospital watchdog and babysitter coordinator.

5 comments:

LJ said...

Good crap, Gina! I'm so glad he's okay and that you had an arsenal of friends at your disposal.

Abby said...

Thank goodness for friends and family. Glad to hear Caleb is well and home now.

Unknown said...

I heard the news and have been thinking of you guys! Glad Caleb is on the road to recovery!

We do live in a great neighborhood with such close knit friends! I owe LOTS of people for helping me too (including you)!

I wish I could have helped you out! Maybe when my twins get bigger and aren't eating every 2.5 hours?

Natalie said...

Aww, poor Caleb! Hope he's on the mend ASAP! You are sooo fortunate to know and be able to depend upon so many good people! I wish we were closer, as always. I would have LOVED to see what life would be like with so many kiddos! :D

Judy Cozza Photography said...

Uh - you should post a new post about your new header. Super good idea!