Thursday, August 19, 2010

Have you heard?

2010 is the "get rid of all your non-vital organs" year.
At least it has been for our family.
Aaron had both his tonsils and adenoids removed this week.

Is this gross to post?  Sorry if it is.
Here are Aaron's tonsils before.
I don't have any after pictures - for sure any pictures I take now are too gross to post.  After his surgery, the doctor said that his tonsils were big but his adenoids were monstrous.

We decided to have them removed for a few reasons - mostly breathing related.  I am looking forward to him talking differently.  Less stuffy nose-ish, hopefully.

Here we are entertaining ourselves while waiting to check-in at the hospital.
He was allowed to bring one toy with him to take into surgery. 

He was hungry (couldn't eat before the procedure) and was begging for popsicles all morning.  Apparently, that's the only detail he remembered from all of the times that we talked about what would happen.

Can you tell it's starting to sink in?  He's finally nervous.  
Good thing it didn't last long.
We stayed the night in the hospital because he's only 3 years old and he has sleep apnea.  The doctor requires an overnight stay for all kids his age in order to monitor their breathing during the first night.

I've got no fun stories about him coming out of the anesthesia.  They called me into a room with a recliner, plopped him on my lap, and he burrowed into my chest where he slept until he decided he needed a popsicle.  He ate 10 that day.  No worries about dehydration as long as there are popsicles around. 
The nurses in pre-op gave him the cow and the nurse in post-op gave him the quilt to keep.  Caleb would've preferred the actual tonsils as a souvenir but I am content.

We had visitors that night.
That was fun, maybe more for me than Aaron...I was bored!

Went downstairs for dinner.

And after a rough sleep (for me - Aaron slept great of course), we left for home early the next morning.

That was 3 days ago.  He's still doing well, although I think we still have a few more days of pain ahead of us. Overall he's pretty happy...as long as there is a popsicle nearby.

4 comments:

TheTaffs said...

Apparently our family joined in on 2010's clean out all those annoying unnecessary organ plan. I tossed my appendix this weekend.

Poor little Aaron. He's so darn cute and you just hate to see such a little guy in the hospital. I wish they had given me 10 Popsicle to eat during my stay in the hospital!

Natalie said...

Poor kiddo! He looks so different and grown up now. :)

Judy Cozza Photography said...

I hope you are going to make a book with all your posts. This was a super fun story. He sounded so clear on the phone!!!

L D said...

It looks like the hospital was really child friendly. Way to go Aaron (and mom!).
Tisha

Hey Aaron! How are you feeling? You looked very brave in the hospital. Be sure to eat a popsicle for me okay? :) Take care bud.
David