
and this?

Well now it looks like this:

and this:

I think some of the lettuce is ready to start eating. It makes me happy to just go out there and stare at it for a while. Until today when I found eggs. And not the good kind - I had them with my last winter garden too (in the old house). So now I have pests to battle which is annoying but worth the work. I used beneficial nematodes in my summer garden after being sick of the bugs all winter and they worked great. The only problem is that they aren't exactly cheap. Any gardeners out there know of any other effective, safe-to-eat remedies?
5 comments:
Wowza! I don't have any advice for bug prevention. Methinks I will be doing transplants next season instead of seeds. My garden looks SO WIMPY compared to yours!
LEs.
TOO GORGEOUS GINA!!! You guys are the bomb!
We have been eating our lettuce for a week or two. SOOOO GOOD! You may already know this, but I just learned last year (after killing several of the heads) to harvest it a leaf at a time instead of cutting off the whole head. It usually grows back when you cut it off, but if you cut too far down, it kills the whole thing. If you just harvest the largest outside leaves, it doesn't damage the plant and they just keep growing and growing all winter long.
Those veggies look amazing! I can't believe how fast they have grown! I'll be there with my fork in about 18 hours...
That is AWESOME!!! You are such a cultivator! Wow!
My only remedy works on aphids... not sure about anything else. I found it on Martha Stewart's website. It's water, onion and chile powder, basically. Everything will taste like that stuff though. We used it on roses, and boy does that not make them smell so sweet!
PS. I didn't know nematodes were a real thing! Funny! I learn so much from you blog! :)
Post a Comment